Below is a small sample of vehicles owned by members who have been kind enough to put their vehicles on display to be featured on our website.
During the 1950s the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps sponsored a product-improved version of the DUKW called the XM147 "Super DUCK", several versions were manufactured by GMC for evaluation by the Army and Marine Corps. The Super DUCKs were tested at Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG), MD from 1953 through 1957 but the project was ultimately cancelled in favor of the Transportation Corps LARC-5.
Surrounded by all the pretty white boats, the duck actually looks like an alligator among swans.
This British Wessex Saker Light Strike Vehicle (LSV) was one of several built during the Desert Storm era for the Special Air Service (SAS). Like most LSVs and other similar "buggies" the Saker is powered by a Volkswagen flat 4 cylinder 1.6 liter, air cooled, petrol engine. It utilizes classic VW running gear of 4/1 manual trans-axel with a torsion bar twin beam front axel. Brakes are disc all around backing up 30x9.50R15LT Yokohama studded "Mud Digger" tyres on five spoke aluminum off-road rims. The frame is all tubular steel covered with aluminum diamond plate body panels and wings (fenders). The head section of the roll bar has a machine gun mount as does the passenger dash bar. The wind screen can fold forward by removing four pins and the top roll cage section.
The electrical system was designed for either 12 or 24 volt, using two small Exide RE1 batteries mounted centre line forward of the foot wells. Lucas electric (Price of Darkness) 12 volt turn indicators and headlights are standard. All instruments, switches and indicators are housed in a simple "job box" to the right of the steering wheel. Seating is Puritanical OD canvass pads on metal frames with little adjustment, seat belts are Willans 3-point racing harnesses of baby blue webbing? No rearview mirrors of any kind are installed making it difficult to see behind. A simple on board fire suppression system is present to quell a possible engine fire. The fuel cell is stainless steel fixed between the cabin and engine. Stowage is Spartan with stretch metal bins on either side of seating, a deck over the engine and flat wings and bonnet. In all a unique piece of British SAS kit that is historically significant, fun to drive and definitely not your Grandfathers jeep!
Seated in the Saker is Robbie Skipper, son of Rick Skipper of Khaki Corps Imports.
Built by Dodge as the first M-series 3/4 ton truck, the M-37's were built to be the successor to the G-502 WC 3/4 ton family of trucks used in WW II and Korea. The M37 was a custom military design developed in 1948 and produced is several groups and models from 1950 to 1968. The M37 series was used by all the U.S. services from the early 1950s through the 1980s and exported widely around the world.
Denis is proud of his Dodge M-37. Wait until you see his other one.
The Kettenkraftrad, type HK 101 is one of the most unique vehicles developed during the Second World War. The "tracked motorcycle" concept was conceived and patented by a German inventor, Heinrich Ernst Kniepkamp, in June of 1939. This was in response to a request for a fast, tracked vehicle capable of moving small loads in mountainous terrain. It was however, the NSU Werke of Neckarsulm, Germany that developed the Kettenkrad.
Although the concept was embraced immediately, the vehicle was not introduced into troop service until early June of 1941. The official designation was "kleines Kettenkraftrad SdKfz. 2". "Kettenkrad" became the common abbreviation soon after.
For more on the Kettenkrad visit Phil's website kettenkrad.com.
The OT-64 SKOT (Czech acronym for: Strední Kolový Obrnený Transportér, and/or Polish Sredni Kolowy Opancerzony Transporter) is an amphibious armored personnel carrier (8x8), developed jointly by Poland and Czechoslovakia (CSSR). The first prototype was produced in 1959 and the first production vehicles were delivered in 1964. Many are still in use today.
Wait until you see his Ferret!
The M35 family of trucks is a long-lived vehicle initially deployed by the United States Army, and subsequently utilized by many nations around the world. A truck in the 2 1/2 ton weight class, it was one of many vehicles in US military service to have been referred to as the "deuce and a half."